Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A Second Mac & Cheese Recipe!

I love mac and cheese. So much so that I want to shout it from the rooftops. However, it is not exactly the healthiest meal on the planet. Which is why I am so glad that my friend Kathleen posted a recipe a while ago for a healthier Cauliflower Mac and Cheese over at her blog, Perfect Recipe Project. This recipe is easier than the previous one I linked to, but just as satisfying. It also includes Tony Chachere's cajun seasoning, which is one of my new favorite things. In fact, 'In Tony I Trust,' is my new seasoning motto. Cauliflower is a fantastic vegetable addition to the pasta since it is already relatively white and flavorless ...just like noodles! Plus, cauliflower holds up better for leftovers, so you're not just left with an amorphous blob of day-two gluten-free noodles. But wait, there's more! Kathleen's recipe calls for Greek yogurt, which means that you're sneaking extra protein in along with the veggies! How clever! 


Being me, I took it upon myself to pimp out Kathleen's recipe. I used quinoa noodles, my favorites, as the pasta base (more protein!). Then I followed the directions, except: 
-I sauteed half of an onion in butter (because it was already on my counter) and added that to the mix
-I nearly doubled the amount of cheese. 50% less fat = 50% more cheese! I trust Kathleen and think her recipe is probably awesome already, but I wanted it to look cheesier while I was stirring all of the ingredients together
-I also browned some gluten-free bread crumbs with butter, salt, pepper, and a dash of Tony's and topped my mac and cheese with that before baking it (because I had leftovers)


This version has surpassed Alton Brown's as my favorite homemade mac and cheese because it is easier and healthier while still being flavorful. It is the perfect bit of comfort food for when the weather decides it should be chilly and rainy even though it is June. 

No comments:

Post a Comment