Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Why I'm A Better Person Without Gluten

I briefly stepped away from the blogosphere to tend to my newfound carpal tunnel syndrome, but fear not because I am back. Both of my wrists have been irritated, because when I go, I go hard. I'm not quite 100% yet, but I'm enough % to write about the thing that was on my mind a couple of weeks ago. 

Perhaps one of the best things about developing gluten intolerance was that it helped me become a better person. I like to imagine that I was considerate before, but I feel like I am more tuned in to other people now. Having personal experience with being left out from basic social activities like eating has helped me be more attentive to others. I now make more of an effort to ensure that everyone has something to eat and seems generally comfortable/welcome when I socialize. I'm also more conscious of not letting my knee-jerk reaction dominate my thoughts about a person or topic. The skepticism that I encountered in the early days of my intolerance reflected my own misanthropy back at me. It was not a pretty reflection, but I've been working on cleaning off that mirror since. I'm not saying I'm perfect, but I'm getting closer. I'm growing in ways that I could have easily avoided if I had continued to interact with the world like I used to, so I am thankful for that silver lining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment