Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Smartphones = Awesome

I'm not very tech-savvy, nor did I particularly care about smartphones, but now that I have one, let me tell you about how much easier they make it to be a glutard!


One of the tricks I learned early in the g-free transition was to bring my phone with me shopping. It sucks to be sick, standing in the aisle at CVS, flabbergasted as to whether the cold medicines are gluten-free. It sucks more to have to go home to get your phone to call the numbers on the boxes to ask. But it sucks even more to get home, cold medicine in hand, snot dripping from your face, head pounding, and discover upon calling the company that the cold medicine actually contains gluten. SUCKFEST. I've been there and done that, and let me warn you that some pills contain gluten and some don't. Just like some fake cheese products contain gluten and some don't (lookin' at you salsa con quesos). OH AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ABOUT COMPANIES THAT CHANGE THEIR FORMULA WITH EACH BATCH. Having a smartphone makes this process way less shitty because you can google the product in question while you're standing in the aisle. If google can't answer your question, then you can call the company to find out what exactly their modified food starch or other mystery ingredient was made of. You can do the same thing with restaurants -- having the ability to do a quick search online or look up a phone number while you're making impromptu plans with friends gives you more power to ensure you'll be able to eat something satisfying for dinner. There are also apps out there for glutards, but I haven't bothered with any of them yet. 


So there you have it: The one and only time I will suggest that people throw money at their cell phone providers. In this instance, dealing with those greedy sadists is outweighed by the improvement in quality of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment